7 arrested in $1.6M StubHub scam

7 arrested in $1.6M StubHub scam

STUBHUB:Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. (2nd R) speaks during a news conference at his office in midtown Manhattan in New York July 23. Photo: Reuters/Brendan McDermid

By Karen Freifeld

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Police have arrested seven people on charges they were tied to an international ring that defrauded eBay Inc’s StubHub online ticketing service of some $1.6 million, the latest in a string of high-profile cybercrime busts in recent months.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr announced the arrests on Wednesday. They include a Russian national who was detained while vacationing in Spain, along with three others arrested in London, two in the United States and one in Canada.

They were charged with involvement in a cybercrime ring that used stolen credit card numbers to purchase thousands of tickets to events, including concerts of Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z as well as games for sports teams including the Boston Red Sox and New York Giants, according to court documents unsealed Wednesday.

The charges include money laundering, possession of stolen property and identity theft.

StubHub’s head of global communications, Glenn Lehrman, told Reuters his firm has been working with law enforcement around the world for the last year on the case.

(Additional reporting by Mica Rosenberg and Joseph Ax)

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.