Settlement reached in Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit

Settlement reached in Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit

Former Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore talks with reporters as he leaves a hearing in Denver District Court on Monday, Oct. 3, 2005, on a lawsuit he filed against Vancouver Canucks player Todd Bertuzzi and others after he was seriously injured by a hit from Bertuzzi in a game in March 2004 in Vancouver. Denver District Judge Shelley Gilman tossed out the lawsuit on Thursday, Oct. 13, 2005, saying Moore didn't have any evidence that the defendants should face trial in Colorado, adding that she doubted Colorado law would apply to most of Moore's claims. Photo: Associated Press/AP Photo/Ed Andrieski

TORONTO (AP) — A settlement has been reached in Steve Moore’s lawsuit against former Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi for his career-ending hit during an NHL game 10 years ago.

Bertuzzi lawyer Geoff Adair confirmed the settlement but says the terms are confidential. The multimillion-dollar lawsuit had been scheduled to go to trial Sept. 8.

Bertuzzi struck Moore from behind, sending the Colorado Avalanche player crashing face first to the ice and leaving him with a concussion and fractured vertebrae.

Moore alleges the Canucks had put a bounty on him following his check that injured captain Markus Naslund.

Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to criminal assault causing bodily harm. He was sentenced in 2006 to one year of probation and 80 hours of community service.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

‘Rambo’ is coming to the small screen


"Rambo: New Blood" will be executive produced by the "Rocky" star, who will also appear in the series.

in Viral Videos

REMIX: The Marvel universe as a rom-com


Envision a time where the Avengers gave up on the world-saving and just went full romantic comedy on us.

in Entertainment

George Lucas to new ‘Star Wars’ film: I’m your divorced father


"Star Wars" creator George Lucas, who was not involved in making the long-awaited new film, "The Force Awakens," said he is as ambivalent about seeing the movie as a divorced father would be about attending his child's wedding.

in Entertainment, Viral Videos

Sleeping Santa makes Christmas pics a snap


Santa Claus won't be stopped by a sleeping baby boy. He'll improvise!