Five more charged in Vancouver’s Stanley Cup riot as third anniversary nears

Five more charged in Vancouver’s Stanley Cup riot as third anniversary nears


VANCOUVER – Five more people have been charged for allegedly taking part in Vancouver’s Stanley Cup riot as the third anniversary of the mayhem approaches.

The latest charges include mischief, arson and break and enter during the chaos in city’s downtown on June 15, 2011.

The province’s criminal justice branch says 259 of the 298 people charged so far have entered guilty pleas, while four have been convicted at trial and one was acquitted.

Sentences have ranged from discharges to more than a year in jail.

The guilty pleas and guilty verdicts include five young men who beat a Good Samaritan as he tried to push back a crowd outside the Bay department store.

The riot broke at an outdoor viewing area where thousands of fans gathered to watch giant screens set up for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final, which the Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins.

(The Canadian Press) (from Broadcast News Ltd.)

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recent Headlines

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Viral Videos

WATCH: Soldier breaks rank to hug daughter at homecoming


Top brass at a Colorado Army post are all smiles after a 2-year-old girl interrupted a general's speech to dash across the room and hug her dad, who had just come home from a nine-month deployment.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.