One of your BEST weapons against ID theft…the shredder! You don’t have to shred EVERYTHING…but anything containing your SSN, credit card numbers, banking or other personal data should be chopped up into tiny little pieces! Consumer Reports ShopSmart magazine has a good “how to” guide on what to keep and what to shred…shredable stuff includes:
- Credit-card info.
- Monthly bills. (payment coupons contain account numbers)
- Workplace documents. (pay stubs, W-2 forms, etc)
- Financial statements.
- IDs. That includes old ID cards, expired licenses, and anything with your Social Security number on it.
- Medical forms. They could include a member ID number, which makes you vulnerable to medical ID theft.
- Mail from a financial institution. Even documents that don’t have account info can leave you exposed.
Protect your identity…AND your money!