This photo, provided by Worldwide Marriage Encounter, shows John and Ann Betar (left) receiving their gifts and plaques from Dick and Diane Baumbach after being named “Longest Married Couple”.
Married for 81 years, John and Ann Betar are America’s longest married couple, recognized by Worldwide Marriage Encounter.
So what advice do they have for the rest of us?
1) Live a long time. John Betar is 102. Ann is 98.
2) Work at your marriage. Ann says, “Marriage isn’t a lovey-dovey thing, you know, for 80 years. You learn to accept one another’s way of life. Devote your time to understanding one another. Really, that’s the whole thing.”
“We always hold hands,” John adds.
3) Appreciate your family. ”Well, we just take things as they come, and we’re contented, and we have lovely family to support us,” John says.
“Bringing up your kids,” Ann adds. “That was the main interest, was your children.”
4) Roll with things. ”Be content with what you have and what you’re doing,” says John.
5) If Mama ain’t happy… ain’t nobody happy. John says, ”The key is to always agree with your wife.” Smart man.