As you head out shopping for everyone on your list this weekend, keep in mind that a lot of the top gifts will be cheaper after the first of the year. Here are 10 things you SHOULDN’T buy before Christmas.
1. Big-screen TVs. The best deals come AFTER Christmas, usually in late January. They’re trying to sell everyone a new TV right before the Super Bowl.
2. Furniture. New models are usually released in February and August. So stores give their best deals in January and July, to clear out the old inventory.
3. Skis. You get much better sales in March and April, at the end of ski season.
4. Bicycles. September is the best time to buy, with discounts of 25% or more. Manufacturers bring out new models in the fall.
5. Cars. The last week of the year is the best time, because dealers will negotiate more.
6. Luggage. The biggest markdowns are usually in March, because sales drop after the holiday travel season, and don’t pick up again until people start planning summer vacations.
7. Jewelry. Everyone wants to buy jewelry for Christmas gifts, so sellers don’t offer good deals. The best time is right after Valentine’s Day.
8. Perfume. Same as with jewelry. Everyone buys it for Christmas and Valentine’s Day, so you should wait until late February. And the lowest prices will be online.
9. Linens. Let your in-laws sleep on the old sheets. The big white sales come in January. It’s actually a tradition that goes back to the 19th century.
10. Suits. Buy them in January, when the fall and winter collections go on sale to make room for the spring collections. If you need a spring suit, buy it in July.
Adapted from an article at Kiplinger.com