Listen to Cookin’ with KAFE each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Scotty VanDryver visits with Chef Jordan River Lawson from the Hotel Bellwether Lighthouse Bar & Grill to get the best tips and recipes they have to offer. Here are this week’s recipes…
Chicken with Mushrooms
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 8 oz. steamed small potatoes
- ¼ lb mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups table wine – white or red
- dash of:
- 1 cup hearty greens
First we want to sear the chicken so it stays moist. Heat a steel oven safe pan to almost smoking, add a little oil to coat. Season a large chicken breast with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, and pat dry with a paper towel. Carefully pan the chicken away from you to avoid oil splatter. Let the pan do the work, don’t move it, wait 1 minute, flip, add any wine, red or white, and as many chopped cascadia mushroom farm mushrooms as the pan will allow, they will shrink. Also add some mini potatoes small diced potato. I prefer a good merlot add about a cup, cover the pan and give the chicken 15-20 minutes to cook through. Serve over a bed of hearty greens, beets or kale, on a platter or bowl, the heat from the dish will cook them.
In an oven safe sauté pan or cast iron skillet:
- Preheat your oven to 400 and turn the burner to medium high,
- Add olive oil or butter to the sauté pan, then pan sear a 6 oz. halibut filet, sear on one side for 1 minute, flip the fish with a spatula then put in the oven for an additional 8 minutes.
- Boil 1/2 cup water in a pot, add rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar or honey, then make a slurry of 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons orange juice,
- Add to your simple syrup solution, add 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, and the cornstarch slurry, this will thicken your gastrique.
- Pesto: parsley, parmesan, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, salt and pepper combine all ingredients in a blender, mix this pesto concentrate with mashed potatoes, you can serve the pesto mash, warm or cold.
- Place the fish carefully on top of the mashed potatoes for a tall presentation,
- Garnish the plate with the rhubarb gastrique and enjoy.
For more information, check out the Hotel Bellwether Lighthouse Bar & Grill.